58 Jewish Agency Israel Fellows to Hillel serve 67 North American campuses, cultivating relationships with nearly 7,000 students.
Hillel’s goal is to inspire every Jewish college student to develop a meaningful and enduring relationship to Israeli culture and society.
That’s why, since 2003, we have partnered with The Jewish Agency for Israel, placing Israel Fellows on campuses throughout North America to engage Jewish college students.
I’m not a salesperson selling Israel, but rather, I’m trying to give Israel a face. There are a lot of challenges, with such a wide spectrum of how people feel about. My work is about making a personal connection. It’s about showing and discussing all sides of the story.-Simona Vainberg Israel Fellow at Johns Hopkins Hillel
Jewish Agency Israel Fellows are charismatic young professionals who have served in the Israel Defense Forces. In their roles on campus, they share personal experiences of modern Israel through the lens of its socially-progressive values and its accomplishments in technology, life sciences, and the arts.
Working hand-in-hand with Hillel professionals on campus, the Fellows support students and help them to grapple with complex issues that are often emotional and may seem contradictory. Israel Fellows often become the face of Israel for the North American students they work with, offering them a unique and authentic relationship with Israel and Israelis.
In 2011-2012, 50 Israel Fellows:
- Established and maintained 6,759 relationships
- Created 1,164 pro-Israel educational programs on campus
- Recruited 3,000 students for the winter and summer Taglit-Birthright Israel trips
- Created and led 335 pre-and post Taglit-Birthright Israel educational sessions
- Met personally with a minimum of 70% of the Jewish students that participated on their Taglit-Birthright Israel bus, and together explored opportunities for Israel activism on campus