As expressed in Hillel’s recent statement in support of racial justice,
our country is in a state of substantial pain, turmoil, and fear, particularly for our Black friends and colleagues and other people of color. We know this moment feels like uncharted territory for many, but that some in our community know it all
too well. As we move forward together in taking action, we must learn how best to be allies, to take responsibility for our own learning, to support our staff and students in meaningful and sensitive ways, and ultimately to be a positive force in
repairing what’s broken and continuing to break in our world.
To assist in how we take action as a Hillel community, in the coming weeks and months, Hillel International will provide guidance, training, and opportunities for discussion on topics of race, power, and privilege in our society. This page exists to be
a living resource for our Hillel community. Here you’ll find opportunities to learn, discuss, and act. We will continue to update this page with the latest opportunities in this area. Please stay tuned for those updates.
Hillel International’s mission is to enrich the lives of Jewish students so that they may enrich the Jewish people and the world for all. Today’s world is broken in many ways and there is much work to do. Here are some of the ways we’ve
recently made progress in efforts to pursue racial equity:
- We are committing ourselves to do our part in building an anti-racist Jewish community and to doing so in partnership with Black Jews and Jews of color within and outside of our Hillel movement.
- We are providing ongoing educational content, training, and learning for staff, students, and community members on issues of racial justice, implicit bias, power & privilege.
- We are developing a multi-year plan for diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism, integrating these into the fabric of our organizational values, practices, and operations.
- We are developing short and long-term measurable goals and strategies to combat racism and to diversify our Schusterman International Center staff, Board of Directors and Student Cabinet as well as to support diversity across the Hillel movement.
- We are establishing a Hillel International Board of Directors Task Force to guide our efforts at addressing issues of diversity and racial equity.
Review Hillel’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion.